This will be a multi-part article, because I am about to dive back into something that I have rejected as a false teaching in the past, that being the idea that angels had sex with women here on planet earth prior to the Great Flood and gave birth to the Nephilim or giants. It’s a topic that I have ended up in discussion with others on from time to time and it is a very deep rabbit hole, which is why I am going to write about it extensively. The idea concerning angels intermingling with humans originates from the Book of Enoch. I am actually doing real-time research on this topic right now, but first, I am going to share my own thoughts and then go from there, on this topic.
I have read parts of the Book of Enoch. For those who do not know, the Book of Enoch is part of the Apocrypha, outside of the Canon Judeo-Christian Bible. We will get more into that further along either in this part of the article or in my next part. Who is Enoch? Enoch is the great grandfather of Noah.
Here is my personal thoughts and feelings on it:
- I get a check in my spirit with regards to the idea that angels had sex with humans and that is why G-d chose to destroy the earth by flood. There are multiple reasons for this that I will go into in detail on later. I pay very close attention to checks in my spirit on matters, I believe that they are extremely accurate. I will go into more details on why later.
- Jesus said in Matthew 22:30 that the angels are genderless and that we will be like the angels when we are resurrected. I will go into more details on that too later….both my view point as well as a counter view point from another source, yes, I am going to post counter arguments against my own views….that’s what you do when you are not certain of something, you entertain counter arguments.
- I have heard some pretty out there ideas based off of the ideas created by the book of Enoch. One being that Satan had sex with Eve in the garden. Another that Satan is from an extraterrestrial planet called Rahab that was either in our solar system and that the asteroid belt is the remains of the planet Rahab or orbits another star not too far away. As you can see, the teachings of Enoch lead to some pretty far fetched theology, but just because a book causes a lot of creative imagination doesn’t mean we should dismiss it as a non-authoritative book.
- What I understand the definition of Nephilim to actually be, throws a monkey wrench into the idea that they were physical giants.
- The book of Enoch doesn’t read like the inspired Word of G-d. I will try to explain that better when we actually examine the Book of Enoch.
- One of the key strategies of the Devil is to have us over sexualize things, thus distorting our ideas and concepts even further from the Truth.
So, starting with #3 above, we are going to dive into the Book of Enoch. First, we need a formula by which we can check the spirit of any teaching, thought or idea presented to us, so I am going to provide a check list for us to use before we get carried off into thoughts of fancy unaware.
Spiritual Litmus Test Check List
- Jesus is G-d in the flesh.
- The Holy, Divinely Inspired, Written Word is Jesus in the flesh.
- Jesus is the only way to the Father (what Jesus said).
- Salvation is by Grace and not by Works.
- Faith without works is dead.
- We are to judge our brothers and sisters in Christ, but to judge them righteously aka hold them accountable, meaning from the Spirit, taking all things into consideration and having judged ourselves first. As Jesus said, take the plank out from your own eye so that you can see clearly to help your brother remove the splinter from their own eye.
- We shall know them by their fruits…either fruits of the spirit or fruits of the flesh as is clearly described through out scripture.
- No true teaching, prophetic word, prayer, thought or attitude will ever contradict the Word of G-d.
So the first question to ask, is the book of Enoch the divinely inspired Word of G-d? That will actually be the last question I will come to an answer on because that is the whole point of the research I am doing tonight and during my subsequent posts on this subject. So I don’t want to jump to a quick answer on that, the most important question without further investigation. I shall look up viewpoints from other trustworthy sources, dig deeper into scripture, pray and possibly fast and seek the truth on the answer to that, the most important question on this topic of angels.
So, what in the world is the Apocrypha, you might ask? Well, it is a collection of books outside of what we consider the Canon bible today. I will cover that more in my next post.
The idea concerning angels having sex with humans actually stems both from the Book of Enoch and from a single verse in Genesis, Genesis 6:2. Here is the verse within the context of surrounding scripture:
- Fallen angels had sexual relations with women, thereby birthing giants, nephilim, onto the earth. The earth was flooded and all destroyed, save what was aboard Noah’s Ark, because of this abomination.
- The “Sons of G-d/Elohim” were the Godly descendants of Seth and the “daughters of men” were the descendants of wicked and cursed Cain. That it was forbidden for them to intermingle and marry, and this is why the earth was flooded.
- The Nephilim were powerful human rulers.
Most of Christianity holds to #2 above. I hold to #2 above, but because this topic has been brought up to me once more, I am going to dig deeper and consider all of the arguments for and against the idea concerning angels intermingling with humans. Why? Because “Thou shall not carry the name of the Lord your G-d in vain.” I want to teach biblical truth and while this topic doesn’t effect our core beliefs in any manner it can reshape and distort our views on other portions of scripture and either enlighten us or rob us of some important perspectives concerning scripture, angels and even the nature of Lucifer and G-d.
I will post a second part to this in approximately a weeks time.
Latest posts by Fred Dickey (see all)
- Depart from me you workers of lawlessness – Illegal Immigration And The Fanatic Lawless Left - July 29, 2018
- Donald Trump and False Evidence - July 25, 2018
- The Independent President - July 21, 2018